Sights

Ganna and its surroundings are full of exciting attractions and programs for visitors.
The area of Ganna was probably inhabited even before the conquest, and the name of the settlement came from that time, the meaning of which has now been forgotten. For a long time, Ganna understood two neighbouring settlements, Nagyganna and Kisganna. Its first written mention is from a charter of year 1171.
In 1543, it became part of the estate of András Csoron from Devecser, but in 1552, the Turks dragged the population, leaving the settlement extinct. In the 18th century, the area became the property of the Esterházy family. In 1748, Károly Esterházy deployed Bavarian and Styrian Germans and later Croatians to Ganna. The Bavarian identity was decisive for a part of the community. The economic growth of Ganna - which was well-developed under the Esterházys - has stopped by the 20th century the reason for this was that it was difficult to approach. In 1940, the two neighbouring villages united and officially called Ganna. The Germans of Ganna were also affected by the relocation after the World War II that occurred in two waves, the first on June 5, 1946, the second on January 28, 1948, 599 people had to leave the country. Most of its population today has Swabian roots today as well.

ESTERHAZY'S CHURCH AND MAUSOLEUM OF GANNA


The Classicist-style church - official name: The exaltation of the Holy Cross parish church and mausoleum - was built in the 1810s based on Charles Moreau's plans. The form of the church - its form and interior colouring - shows many similarities with the Roman Pantheon, the family mausoleum was established in the crypt of the building complex, where 53 Esterházy rests. Earl Miklós Esterházy decided on the construction and the church was consecrated in the summer of 1818. It can be visited by prior appointment .

sights

01.
St Vendel Chapel
St. Vendel's Chapel, built by Bishop Károly Esterházy, is located in Kisganna. The late baroque chapel - named after the patron saint of the shepherds - was built in 1768 and is located in the place of the former thatch-roofed prayer house
02.
Emigration cross

One of the crosses on the Main Street is the so-called Emigration Cross. The cross - made of stone and marble - was made by György Kéthy in 1907, and it commemorates the 40 people of Ganna who emigrated to America at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries.

 

03.
Bust of Mihály Táncsics

Mihály Táncsics, one of the most well-known figures of the Reform Age, spent some years as a tutor in Ganna around 1820. This is reminiscent of the bust on the main square.

 

04.
Szarvaskő Castle in Döbrente

The ruins of the castle stand on top of a steep hillside rising above the village. In 1367, Ban Benedek Himfy had it built who - as a general of King Louis the Great - received permission to do this in the territory of his estate in Döbrönte. The area offers excellent hiking opportunities for hikers. The Ödön source is also within easy walking distance.

 

05.
Pápa Eszterházy Castle

The Esterházy Castle is located in Pápa, in the city centre, on the Main Square, behind the Great Church. The Baroque castle and the former fortress system played an important role in the history and development of the city.

 

06.
Somló hill

Thanks to the its wines, hiking trails, the Kitaibel Nature Trail featuring the geological, plant and zoological sights, historical and folk architecture memories, the Somló Hill is a popular travel destination for both nature divers and tourists as well as wine-lovers. In fine weather, you can also see the snowy peaks of the Alps.

 

check-in

1

E-mail: setapalcavendeghaz@gmail.com

2

telephone:
+36 20/770-4751